Friday, February 6, 2009

My "Girl" Poem


Everyday rules affect us all. The most important rules to follow are the rules made by our parents. Our parents brought us into the world and they can just as easily take us out. Being a good daughter is one of the most important social groups I am in. After writing a poem in prose about the rules my parents have made I realized that my life is pretty strict. While I hate daily the rules instituted by my parents they are mostly needed and correct. Even such rules as not putting my elbows on the table will influence me in my future. I'm a sterotypical daughter who listens to their parents and follows most of the rules.. While my parents make my rules there are certain social rules such as if you are a girl or a boy. In actuality people should not live by their own social group's rules but their own. Here are 16 rules to live by.

To Be A Good Daughter:

Every morning empty the dishwasher before I wake up; if you don’t make your bed, you don’t get money for the movies; make sure you pick up your brother from school, I bought you that car for that reason; don’t put your elbows on the table, don’t talk with your mouth full, don’t eat too much, don’t eat too little; no hydrogenated oils; no cookies; don’t bring burger king home; go to the gym and be fit, I bought you that membership for that reason; don’t be home alone in the house with boys; always watch out for your sister and brother; always know where they are; don’t lie on the couch all day; don’t watch trashy TV shows; make sure your clothes are clean, I bought that washer and dryer for a reason; get to work on time; get paid and put your money in the bank immediately; go to school everyday; don’t get sick; work hard in dance and love, I bought that tuition for that reason; get good grades and work hard for them; study all night but try to have fun; you better go to college; you better not die there; don’t ever talk back to me; don’t ever yell at your father; don’t take a shower in the grey bathroom; close the garage door when you come inside; make sure that your closet is closed at all times to not let the heat in; don’t let your father know anything; eat your carrots not the cookies; blow your nose, don’t only wipe it; don’t crash, scratch, ruin your car in anyway; don’t drink alcohol; don’t do drugs; don’t stay on the computer for too long; don’t put to much makeup on; please walk quietly in the hallways at six am; refrain from knocking on the door and asking for stuff; don’t drink regular milk; make sure you get home before 12 when your driving, if not, I don’t care; fill out scholarship applications; don’t bother your brother about his making up stories; don’t fight with your sister; don’t bring up anything that might bother anyone; save the cereal for other people; don’t finish the box of bars and leave it in the drawer; stop at red lights; don’t scream from your room upstairs to the basement; do your homework before you watch TV; write all your homework in your assignment pad; don’t get anything lower than an B on your report card or consequences will occur; cell phones have to be charged, I bought that for that reason so I could call you at any time; email me all your bad grades during the school day so I can get over them before I get home from work; clean your room before the cleaning lady comes; fold your clothes after you clean them; don’t overspend my American Express card; look for sales when you go shopping; clean the crusty toothpaste in the sink whenever you see it; read as many books as you like; don’t call me in a meeting; be yourself and don’t try to impress anyone but yourself.

This article by Time Magazine is seven rules for what parents should do with their kids.


6 comments:

  1. With that flawless poem I wish my daughter could be as good as you Cassie. Fantastic work! The blog is a little bland. It could use some spicing up a bit...maybe some pictures of me might bring that excitement that this blog needs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem, while a little extreme at times, was very good and I actually found myself laughing at the similarities between your mother and mine. The picture of chocolate strawberries is great but the bride and groom ones were better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad's obsession with eating healthy explains why you're always asking me for cookies during math class (have to let loose when you're away from him). No boys in the house? Come on. There is no way I believe that Ry Guy isn't coming over when the parentals are out. If you listen to all of these rules you are honestly the best daughter ever, and you really put me to absolute shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this poem presents an interesting side of Cassie that I did not know existed, unless this is satirical. Is this sort of behavior reserved for the parents only? The poem is good but I have one thing to add at the end: "be yourself and don’t try to impress anyone but yourself" AND YOUR PARENTS. I think that would be appropriate since they're making the rules. They wouldn't want you to be yourself and undermine their authority, would they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm..."chocolate covered strawberries"? what an ODD blog title!
    but oddness aside your blog is very appealing. the pictures are attractive and work well with the overall aesthetic of the site.
    as for the content...it was equally as intriguing. In fact I was wondering how I, a daughter, could be better at my job, and you certainly helped me with that. THANKS A BUNCH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm..... I think I'm picking up on Da Other Blogger's sarcasm. I'm not sure what your blog title actually refers to, but that is fine with me :) The clean feeling of your blog though is quite nice. Your content is definitely the focus.

    ReplyDelete